Loading...

Pool Shock: Why and How Is It Done?

You may often hear the term pool shock from other pool owners or your pool maintenance technician every now and then, most especially when you see your pool in a condition that is far from satisfactory for swimming. As a pool owner, you should know about pool shocking, why it’s done and how to do the procedure in case no one is available and you need to treat your pool fast.

What is A Pool Shock Treatment?

Shocking your pool involves the process of superchlorination, which is adding large quantities of chlorine (typically about 5-10 times the usual dose) to a pool based on the condition of the pool. Types of shocking agents to choose from include:

  • Calcium hypochlorite
  • Lithium hypochlorite
  • Di-Chlor
  • Potassium peroxymonosulfate

The type of agent used for a swimming pool in Melbourne  shock treatment will depend on the type of pool as well as the lining for the design.

Why Is it Done?

Pool shock is done when you lag behind your regular schedule of pool maintenance, or when your pool was used extensively by many people for several days. These conditions leave behind organic waste and contamination, binding chlorine molecules and rendering them inactive. Correcting this involves performing shock treatments in the pool that will help remove organic matter and other contaminants, leaving behind water that is clear, soft, clean, and safe for swimming.

How Do I Shock My Pool?

It’s best to run the pool filter for 6-8 hour before shock treatment, and to schedule the shock when the sun has set. Performing pool shock treatment will lower the potency of chlorine, making you use either twice as much chemical, or render your shock treatment ineffective. To perform the shock treatment, you should:

  1. Put on clothes that you won’t mind getting messed up. Chlorine can ruin your clothes, so it’s best to wear old, baggy clothing that you won’t be using to entertain guests.
  2. Do a good pool cleaning by taking out debris, sweeping the surrounding area, and making sure that nothing can fall into the pool during the shock treatment.  The floor, walls, and stairs of the pool should be scrubbed to help release algae and chloramines.
  3. Fill a bucket with the recommended amounts of water based on the label of your pool chemical, and then add your agent. It’s better that you add the agent to the water and not the other way around to ensure that you won’t release any particles in the air and cause irritation. Stir to spread the chemical in the bucket or to dissolve the agent.
  4. Disperse the treatment by pouring small amounts in different places at the deep end of your pool, then let your pool pump run for 6-8 hours minimum after adding the shock.
  5. Put up a sign that warns people about the treatment, and don’t let anyone swim in the pool. This is to help minimize the amount of contaminants in the pool, as well as prevent any skin or respiratory irritation caused by exposure to high levels of chlorine.

You will notice that your pool will be cloudy and has a strong odor of chlorine once the treatment is dispersed. This is a sign that treatment is at work, and you will soon see clear, smooth, sparkling water once the treatment is done– without the strong chlorine smell!

Pool shock treatments should not be used to replace your standard sanitation procedures. Your pool can do without a shock, but it cannot do without your sanitizers. A good shock will help boost the effect of your sanitizers, and having stable sanitation in your pool water lessens the need and frequency of pool shock treatments. If you require professional assistance, ASAP Services cover swimming pool maintenance including pool shock treatments to help you keep your pool safe and healthy for use.

By | 2017-08-30T14:47:09+00:00 June 9th, 2015|Blog|Comments Off on Pool Shock: Why and How Is It Done?